aporia

"Comme l'oiseau sur la branche Comme l'ivrogne dans le choeur de la nuit J'ai cherche ma liberte"

My Photo
Name:
Location: London, United Kingdom

undergraduate philosophy student at warwick university

Sunday, March 04, 2007

in praise of the pete

Revelation, I have reached the maturity demanded by Kant!!!!!! (I wouldn’t quite call it enlightenment however)

It all happened at the most banal of moments. Whilst typing my Deleuze essay (interspersed with a skype conversation with my mum), a meagre tapping on my bedroom door was calling my attention.

For an inexplicable reason, perhaps that was the beauty of, my o’ so wise and honourable housemate, Pete, was in want of…….well I have no idea. I presumed that it was something such as needing to pay a gas bill, or some other trivial reason. I pondered, what were the conditions of possibility for which I was to incur the privilege for this rare visitation (as if from another world)……..

what resulted during a few minutes of dialogue was a greatly appreciate tutorial on Foucault, freedom and the notion of the self. The subject of Foucault, being the man in my life at the moment, arose out of Pete’s preceding to tell me about the Chomsky Foucault conversation that he had just been reading.

It was only through our conversation, that led on to Foucault (sorry chomksy old boy), and to my questioning Pete on how Foucault manages to bring in freedom, that I came to understand what everybody had been going on about. My wrongly placed position, of which there was patently no solution, had previously been pointed out me via a previous housemate, mr Dogmat innit. He had struggled and toiled for many an hour to make clear to me the error of ways, and at times it appeared that he had succeeded. However, a few weeks later it would be apparent that my entrenched views on my freedom determinism dilemma were convictions so strong and entrenched that I couldn’t quite see past, despite the yearning to do so. Poor guy.

However, and I’m sure the dogmat episodes were a necessary condition of my present revelation, of which Pete was the sufficient contributing factor.
I think I am ready to grow-up………

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pretentious, tu?

Oui.

12:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

pardon! c'est involontaire!

5:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.

1:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home